Apr 11, 2008

The Coin Drop

Today was an interesting day in our house. As any day I suppose, but today was one for the memory books.


I ventured out of the house, which is not a momumental event. I had errands and important health insurance forms to turn in.

After leaving the insurance office we went to the commissary.


On our way to the commissary we passed a daycare center with a park attached to it. A park that evidently Gabriel really, really wanted to play in. When he realized we were going to the store and not the park, he had a triple melt down.

A triple meltdown as opposed to a double or single meltdown meaning he went into overdrive with his tantrum and cried all the way into the store, past the apples and lettuce and all the way down to the potatoes where I tried to calm him and convince him that helping mommy put items into the cart was fun. Nice try lady.

A nice produce guy appeared holding out an individually wrapped mint. Gabriels tears immediately ceased as his little hand reached for the candy. It worked like a charm and I thanked the nice produce guy again and again and again. Yeah, I know. Technically he was a stranger and one should not teach their children to take candy from strangers but things had reached crisis level. Note to self: stock up on candy.


We completed our shopping with no further meltdowns. There was so much help from Gabriel that I had to take items out of the cart.


Before heading home Elijah and Gabriel found a few coins in the van. They wanted to hold them. I should have known better. At one point I noticed Elijah had a coin in his mouth. I told Elijah to take it out of his mouth as he could get sick. Apparently this important information went in one ear and out the other.

As I pulled the van down our street Elijah started crying. I asked him what was wrong and he told me his tummy hurt. He then informed me the dime was in his belly. Great. He swallowed a dime. What? Really? I asked him. I couldn't believe it. I had just told him what could happen.

Okay.

I had Elijah lay on the couch then I called the doctor and multitasked by putting away the groceries and making lunch. I gave Elijah prunes. The nurse said he should go to the ER.


We went to the ER. He is okay. He has a dime somewhere in his body. During snack time Elijah went running to the bathroom yelling that he had to 'go'. I told him to let me know if he hears a ping from the dime coming out. He probably thinks the dime is going to come out like a coin in a slot. It has not come out yet. I don't think.







Yes that is a copy of Elijah's x-ray and clearly there is a dime there.



The day was a hot 80 degrees. I kicked the boys outside and of course if left too long to their own devices they get into things.

First they began by throwing mud at each other then it escalated to playing with the hose, which I turned off but not before turning the hose on them. When they no longer had the hose to play with they decided to stomp in the water puddles, which turned into mud which turned into mud slinging again, which led me to turn on the hose again to clean them off. Needless to say I had to wash off the house and lay towels inside the door so that they could shed their wet muddy clothes before getting into a shower.

Yeah, it was a good day. It ended with ice cream.


5 comments:

Bottles Barbies And Boys said...

A day that includes a trip to the hospital and mud sligging, is definatly high on the list for blogging!

Anonymous said...

(wheresthefamily)

Sounds like a bad day all the way around.

Won't be long now and you will have more help though.

One day this will be a funny story. :)

Where's The Asprin said...

I know dear. Some day this will be funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.

T's Blog said...

Love the x-ray. For some reason, that makes it that much funnier. If it makes you feel better at all, I talk to moms all the time who's children swallow all sorts of random objects. :)

As for candy from strangers...well, during an all out come apart I think even candy wrapped in a package that says "poisonous" is acceptable. :)