Jul 8, 2016

I Won't Say it's Far, But I Had To Grease The Wagon Twice Before I Hit The Main Road.

So, Texas. It's hot!! I. Mean. Hot! Like melting wax hot or as the kids might say, hot, lava hot. Hot as a billy goat in a pepper patch.  Hot as a stolen tamale. I might even attempt to fry an egg on the driveway just to see if it will cook. "Hey kids!  Breakfast is served!"

On our journey here we only had a few bumps along the way; one kid puking in the hotel parking lot when we arrived in Salem, VA (there was a lot of pink stuff that I suspect was from his large consumption of cherry licorice), a 4-car fender bender during Memphis rush-hour traffic (no one was hurt as we were the last car bumped in the accident so we left with only a teeny scratch), and then there was our arrival at the hotel in Memphis while bringing the cats inside, the cat carrier containing our big cat busted apart releasing Big Girl and prompting her to immediately dash away under a parked car where we luckily caught her moments later (we need to put that cat on a diet). There was junk food, boys peeing in gatorade bottles (one boy in particular. I think he was going for a record), sleeping (lots of sleeping), sore bottoms and tired eyes, some sibling bickering, bad singing (lots of bad singing) and last but not least there were many mutterings of "Are we there yet?" 

After making a stop in Denton and having a wonderful visit with Nana we made it here safe and sound, albeit we were tired and maybe not of sound mind, but safe. 

We are getting settled here in Texas. We still have a lot of boxes to go through drowning in them, in fact. Just finding space for everything is a challenge as we have about 45% of the space we had at the house in New England. Garage sale time! 

We do like our new home and cookie cutter neighborhood though. It's quiet and it has trees. I am currently submitting resumes and looking for work...some of the online forms are quite time consuming but with practice, practice, practice I am getting through it. 

The kids are good, bored at times as they haven't made any friends yet. It's a ghost town around here during the day as the locals must be indoors lying on a bed of ice to keep cool.  


NOT our dog or our ice! Not even our sidewalk. Ok, so I stole the picture.


The 2 older boys are in an elite sports camp a few mornings a week so I am hoping that they will find friends there. Spencer also goes to a youth group at the church, which he really likes. 

We go to the pool A LOT. Our favorite is one that has a few slides and a lily pad crossing in the pool. The kids like it and I can sit comfortably with a book...in the shade. 

Once the kids go back to school things will start to come together for us. Michael is set to start classes in the fall. Jokes aside, we are excited to be here and to start a new chapter in our family book. And extra bonus: we are just 7 minutes down the road from grandma and Mr. Bill. I haven't spotted a 'For Sale' sign in their yard yet so all's good. 

Oh! And this town has What-a-Burger and Rudy's BBQ!  Am so going to have to start running again if this keeps up. 

Miss our friends in New England!!





No comments: